Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Chris Pratt Talks Guardians of the Galaxy...and It's Awesome!

If he wasn't already, Chris Pratt is about to be on your radar big time. The actor, who currently stars in Parks and Recreation, was named in the lead role of Peter Quill/ Star-Lord in Marvel's Phase Two film Guardians of the Galaxy earlier this year much to the delight and surprise of Marvel movie fans.

IGN was lucky enough to catch Pratt and his co-star Aubrey Plaza while visiting the set of Parks and Rec last week and the conversation quickly turned to Guardians. When asked what it's like shooting the movie, Pratt said:

"It’s been really great. It’s hard to even put into words, especially for someone like me who has the vocabulary of a sixth-grader. It’s been a real trip. There’s a lot of super talented people working on it - artists. That’s what I always loved about comic books as a kid, the drawings. I didn’t ever read them that much. I wasn’t too big into the stories, but I loved the artwork and the covers. I’d like to draw a lot as a kid myself. So to see that, as they did making these comic books, they’ve hired the best artists in the world to do the concept artwork and to design these worlds. It’s so imaginative and so unreal. We’re working really hard and I’m in a bit of a daze, but I just can’t wait for people to see what we’re doing out there. I think that footage they showed at Comic-Con is very accurate to the movie that we’re making. I thought that footage was pretty badass."

I'm sure most of you have seen the leaked footage of the first trailer that was shown at Comic Con in July, and from the small bit we were able to see, the film looks like it will continue with a certain comedic tone. Pratt said they're trying to find the balance between comedy and action while still trying to stay true to the comics:

"I think tone is the major thing we have to accomplish, a consistent tone, going from silly and comedic to high-stakes drama and action, and everything in between. It’s really up to James, and I trust everything that he’s doing. I think we’re getting good stuff. I don’t know what to say about it other than it might be…Oh! It’s the greatest movie of the 21st century! That’s what I’ll say. It’ll be the Citizen Kane of movies other than Citizen Kane." 

When asked about the potential of fighting alongside some of the heroes we've seen so far like Thor or Iron Man, he said:

"Man, that would be really cool. What’s nice is that it is all the same universe. Because it falls under the Marvel umbrella, there is the possibility, just like in the comic books, that these stories could intersect.
          Plaza: Do you get to have sex with an alien?
          Pratt: Yes.
          Plaza: What!?
          Pratt: A couple.
          Plaza: Cool. Have you shot those scenes yet?
          Pratt: I can’t get too much into what we’ve shot.
          Plaza: All right. Will you show me later?
Pratt: Yeah, I’ll show you. So yeah, it’s exciting to think that. A lot of it’s just going to depend on what people think of the movie and if it makes sense for Marvel to keep making more of them. But I sure hope it does because I’ve never done anything like it. I hope they make ten of them." 


With the cast we've been introduced to and the new revelation that there will indeed be some alien sex featured in the movie, fans have a lot to look forward to when Guardians of the Galaxy hits theatres on August 1st, 2014.

Twitter: @Stepherland

More Geeky Stories From Around The Interwebs