Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Love/Hate with Comic Book Movies

By: Steve Anderson

I'd like to discuss the reasons why I always end up with a sour taste in my mouth after watching any movie based off a comic book series. First off I want to start by saying this article is only about comic movies based on continual series, not stand alone comics, so basically your big name characters/teams, ie X-Men, Batman, Superman, Fantastic Four, Avengers and so on. I'm probably going to get a lot of heat for the opinions I'm about to discuss, we all know how heated people can get defending or trashing a comic book movie, I'd ask that everyone hear me out first before flying off the handle though.

            I'm going to start with saying, as a fan boy, I get excited almost every time I hear they are making a new movie based on a comic series I love (excluding anything written by Alan Moore, Hollywood has done far too many disservices to the great works of Alan Moore, that could be a whole other article in itself), then after that initial excitement I get an overwhelming sense of dread. This dread isn't for the obvious reasons such as casting or writing or who the producer is and so on; this dread is simply because the two mediums are just not in any way compatible with each other.

            Comic books are continually in second act, sure you start with the origin story which is like the first act of cinema/theatre but EVERYTHING else is second act. Comics cannot have the big third act blow off, even the minor blow offs to end a story arc are usually geared towards setting up the next story arc, or putting an antagonist off to the side for awhile so the protagonist can move onto the next adversary or issue he/she has to face.

            Movies on the other hand need the third act, without the big finale movies just don't work; it's the whole point of the silver screen. The good guy saves the day, everything is settled, the bad guy is dead or in jail or exiled in some way, to never return.

This last point is what kills it for me when watching comic book based movies. In comics these super villains always come back, they play a continual adversarial role to the hero, and this is as much a part of who the hero is as his own personality.

Where would Batman be without the Joker, Superman without Lex Luthor, the X-Men without Magneto and so on.In the movies usually we get a single movie to visit each of these adversaries and then they are shipped off/killed off/written off and we’re onto the next Bad Guy.

X-Files used to have episodes like this, they were called “Monster Of the Week episodes”. The only problem is these episodes didn't define the X-Files series, there was the Smoking Man who was a constant antagonist to Mulder and Scully through every season; this built the mythology of the show. When comic book movies do not return to these antagonists, it kills the mythology of the main character.

            Now, after getting all of this off my chest, I know in the future I'm still going end up shelling out my $10 and whatever astronomical fee they charge for popcorn these days whenever one of these big movies comes out, and I'm going to sit down and enjoy the film as best as I can and try to forget everything that drives me nuts about comic movies.

But I just want to ask one question to everyone before I go: With all the great things happening in cable television these days, why can't we have a serious drama based on one of these iconic characters? Does this format not lend more to the mythology building that has been part of the comic industry since its creation? DC and Marvel, if you are paying any attention to this poor annoyed fan boy, give it a try, hell it doesn't even have to be any of your true icons, give us a good show on The Flash or The Punisher.

If you do it right like The Walking Dead you could have the next big thing in television on your hands. 

I just think there's a huge untapped market that is being completely overlooked which could eliminate all the disappointment and rage ultimately felt by fans as a movie series continues into its second or third sequel and sure enough everything that was good about the first or second movie seems to be slowly disappearing from the series until we are ultimately left with Spider-man 3 or X-Men: The Last Stand.

*The opinions expressed in this article are the authors and the author's alone and do not necessarily reflect those of www.geeksbyday.com


Steve Anderson lives in Peterborough, Ontario. When not writing he consumes far too much coffee and nicotine for any normal human being. You can follow him on twitter @SteveAwesome. 

More Geeky Stories From Around The Interwebs